What is ST or SLP?
Is a healthcare profession that specializes in communication and swallowing disorders, also known as Speech Language Pathology (SLP). SLP services begin with an initial screening for communication and swallowing disorders and continue with assessment and diagnosis, provide advice regarding managing, treating, counseling, and follow up services for these disorders.
HOW DO SLP’s TREAT?
- Prompt Therapy
- Cognitive training
- Augmentative Alternative Communication devices
Deep Pharyngeal Neuromuscular Stimulation
WHAT AREAS ARE ADDRESSED BY SLP’s?
Cognitive aspects of communication
- attention, memory, problem solving, executive functions
- phonation, articulation, fluency, resonance, and voice including aeromechanical components of respiration
- phonology, morphology, syntax, and pragmatic/social aspects of communication including comprehension, and expression of oral, written, graphic and manual modalities
- hoarseness, low volume, and abnormal vocal quality
Sensory awareness related to communication and swallowing
WHAT CONDITIONS DO SLP’s TREAT?
- CVA (stroke)
- MS (multiple sclerosis)
- SCI (spinal cord injury)
- TBI (traumatic brain injury)
- ALS (Lou Gehrig’s disease)
- CP (cerebral palsy)
- MR (mental retardation)
- ASD (autism spectrum disorder) or PDDs (pervasive developmental disorders)
- Aspenger’s disorder
- Pervasive development disorder (not otherwise specified)
- Rett’s disorder
- Childhood disintegrative disorder